Trump’s New $1.7B Fund Could Compensate Jan. 6 Rioters: 5 Things You Must Know
We all remember January 6, 2021. It was a dark, unprecedented day in modern American history, defined by images of a mob breaching the U.S. Capitol and overwhelming law enforcement. Now, five years later, a bizarre legal twist has connected that afternoon to a personal tax dispute between President Donald Trump and the IRS.
Officially dubbed the “Anti-Weaponization Fund” by the Justice Department, the mandate features a loophole that has ignited a firestorm on Capitol Hill, potentially paying January 6 defendants—including those convicted of brutally assaulting police officers during an insurrection—with taxpayer-funded compensation.
Here’s everything you need to know.
The Origin Story: Trump’s $10 Billion Feud With the IRS

The road to this multi-billion-dollar fund didn’t start with January 6—it began with Donald Trump’s private tax returns. In early 2026, Trump filed an unprecedented, personal $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS and the Treasury Department, Reuters reported. The lawsuit claimed the government failed to protect his confidential tax data from a federal contractor who leaked it to the media back in 2019.
The lawsuit was nothing short of bizarre; Donald Trump—the private citizen— was suing the very federal agencies overseen by Donald Trump, the sitting president. Days before a federal judge could rule on whether it was unconstitutional for a president to be on both sides of a lawsuit, Trump’s lawyers abruptly dropped the case.
The Massive Anti-Weaponization Fund

In exchange for dropping his personal claims, Trump’s Justice Department agreed to establish the $1.776 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund.”
“The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again,” said Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche. “As part of this settlement, we are setting up a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”
The Fund will have the power to issue formal apologies and monetary relief owed to claimants who feel “targeted” by the federal government—including Jan. 6 insurrectionists.
So, Who Writes the Checks?

With nearly $1.8 billion sitting in a newly created Treasury account, Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche revealed that the massive fund will be completely controlled by a hand-picked, five-member commission.
Under the rules of the settlement, the Justice Department itself will appoint four of the commissioners, while the final slot will be chosen in consultation with congressional leadership.
“Anybody in This Country Can Apply”

“The commission will set the rules,” Blanche said at a Senate appropriations subcommittee hearing, CNBC reported. When asked whether members of the Proud Boys, a far-right militant group, or the Oath Keepers, an anti-government militia, or others convicted of attacking Capitol Police officers could receive payments, he answered, “That’s not for me to set. That’s for the commissioners.”
At a White House press briefing, Vice President JD Vance also declined to say that Jan. 6 defendants would be barred from receiving payments from the fund, but said the administration was “not trying to give money to anybody who attacked a police officer.”
He clarified: “We’re trying to give money — not give money, we’re trying to compensate people where the book was thrown at them, they were mistreated by the legal system.”
From Criminal Convictions to Government Checks

Earlier this year, the administration already issued sweeping pardons for roughly 1,500 rioters, effectively wiping away their criminal records. Now, financial rewards may be next.
The political backlash on Capitol Hill has been swift, fierce, and deeply divided. During a fiery Senate appropriations hearing, Democrats openly accused the administration of orchestrating a legal racket to loot the federal Treasury.
Senator Chris Van Hollen slammed the move as “pure theft of public funds,” PBS News reported, while Representative Jamie Raskin called it a corrupt political grievance fund designed to subsidize the president’s private allies.
Critics have been quick to point out the dark irony, how Capitol Police officers who suffered career-ending physical and psychological trauma defending democracy look on as the very individuals who breached the barricades line up to apply for formal government apologies and massive cash payouts.
The Justice Department prepares to launch the public application portal within the next 30 days.